Friday, December 02, 2011

Parallels between my life and that of Bella Swan/Cullen

A couple of weeks ago my son was is distress...he NEEDED to see the new Adam Sandler movie, "Jack and Jill".   Since my husband had been to TWO concerts recently, I thought it was only fair that I was the one to head to the theatre with him.  We were so excited!!  Seth actually talked about it for days in advance, "Mom!!!!  We are going to the movies on Saturday!!"  and "Mom!!  MOVIES!!" and "I'm so excited for the movie on Saturday, mom!!" and "SATURDAY!!" (if you read the previous post you may notice that he gets this annoying behavior from me!).

So we are ready for the movie to start, waiting in a dark theatre, watching some of the boring movie trivia when the theatre gets even darker.  The projector went out, and therefore the picture went with it... we were only able to listen to the previews.

After several employees coming in to assure us that it would all be fixed very soon, one came in with a pad full of complimentary tickets and told us that the movie would in fact be cancelled.

We were distraught!

Clearly nothing can live up to a Sandler movie, but Seth wasn't ready to leave the theatre, and neither was I.  We came to see a movie, and that was what we were going to do.

So picture if you will, those old British comedies where the cops are chasing the criminal, and the next shot is the criminal chasing the cops, and then somehow there is an other random person and they are all running after each other... that was us.  We ran through the lobby sticking our heads in every theatre to see what was playing and where we could slip in.  Then we ran to the other side and checked all of those theatres, and then we ran back to watch 'Puss in Boots' in 3D.  Thankfully they had the recycling bins from the 3D glasses outside the door to the theatre, so I opened the box, fished out two pairs and in we went to watch what turned out to be a pretty cute movie.

That was a long intro to my point... with one of those complimentary tickets, I went to the theatre and watched 'Breaking Dawn' all by myself.  It was fantastic!!  (The movie, and the being by myself thing)  I didn't have to explain anything to anyone.  No one questioned my desire to see the movie, and no one groaned and moaned when I got all giddy with excitement when Jacob came on the screen. (although I am certain the people behind me thought I had lost my mind)

DISCLAIMER: Here is where it gets nerdy  ----

I will let you in on a secret... There is two, and only two reasons I do not own any 'team Jacob' paraphernalia, I haven't bought myself many new things in the past 5 years, and my husband would tease me mercilessly.  I will come clean on one thing though... Jacob is on the back of my bathroom door in my bedroom, (a poster which my younger brother got me for my birthday a few years ago) so I often stare at him while I am peeing.  I also teach my daughter to call him a hunk, and have to correct her when she calls him "Daddy".  Then I say, "No, he's a hunk.... not daddy!" (I'm horrible, I know!)

One of many, many thoughts that crossed my mind while sitting in the dark theatre alone was, "Why is it so much more romantic for Edward to say he wants to be with Bella forever than it is for my husband to say it?"   to which I replied to myself "because it literally means that he is going to put up with her FOREVER and ever and ever and ever.  Death will not part them!" (and was it just me, or was her dress horrible?)

Later in the movie I had an epiphany.  Me and Mrs. Isabella Cullen are not so different.  I imagine that most mothers could have had the same feeling.  When Edward called their baby a 'thing' she looked hurt, because she was already so in love with their child.  She would have already given her own life so that child could live.  We were both willing and able to love our baby unconditionally, even in adverse situations.  Now my situation was not as adverse as hers, the chance of my baby killing me were slim, the chance of hers killing her were very likely, but I believe I would have had my son, even if pregnancy had a greater risk of death.

I have a secret, which is really not a secret at all if you know me and can do simple math.  I was only 15 when I got pregnant, and 16 when I gave birth to my bouncing baby boy.  My mom will vouch for me... the first words out of my mouth after he was born was, "It's a boy, and he's so beautiful.  I haven't even seen him yet, but I know he is beautiful!" (k, this makes me tear up a little bit)

So there we have it, Bella is just like in the mommy in all of us.  We love them, would give ANYTHING for them, and just to add a christian spin, God loves ME (and you) the same way.

3 comments:

  1. Jesse and I saw Breaking Dawn last night and I admit that I got teary-eyed when Bella was protecting her unborn baby. I remember when I was pregnant and that amazing love that I had for Gavin, even when I didn't know if he was a he or a she! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember that one time when we all watched Twilight at Erin's? I'm pretty sure I introduced you to your obsession!! Haha! And yes, I understand completely what you mean about your kids. I would do anything for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mel, you are definitely at fault here!! haha!! But seriously, you did introduce me to this obsession.

    ReplyDelete