Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Rocky Road Bars

I am a desert person.  Thankfully I also love baking (and I think I am pretty good at it).  When I was leafing through these magazines this recipe, (mostly the photo) jumped out at me and made me start craving toasty marshmallows and chocolate.

This recipe is easy and a TON of fun to let the kids assist.

Rocky Road Bars
from festive 2011, 'What's cooking?' mag


1 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup coconut
1 1/2 cup pecans
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup marshamllows
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 squares semi-sweet bakers chocolate


* Side note: I would use 2 cups of crumbs and 3/4 cup butter next time to line the dish better.
**Other side note: I let the kids take from the bags of coconut, pecans, chocolate chips, and marshmallows (and did not use the whole pack of chips) and probably did not use the full amount of any of those ingredients.


Preheat oven to 350


Line a 13x9 inch pan with tin foil or parchment paper.


Mix crumbs and butter and press into the bottom of the pan.  Top with layers of coconut, pecans, chocolate chips, and marshmallows.  Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk.


Bake for 25-30 minutes. (til marshmallows are browned)


Melt chocolate squares (I just melted chips) and drizzle over top of desert and let it set.


When you pull it out of the oven, it will still be wobbly.  It's OK!  It will settle and firm up.




TIP:  If you do not like coconut or pecans (and if you don't like chocolate and marshmallows you're crazy!!) substitute them for anything like raisins, almonds, peanuts... anything!




Tomorrow I will be back with the tastiest dish from the weekend.  Roasted New Potatoes.  Don't be unimpressed, I really love new potatoes, but the sauce you serve with these ones is to DIE for!  (I'm just kidding... please don't die)

1 comment: