Monday, April 23, 2012

My experience with the Ferber Method

This is MY own opinion.  Let me be clear that I do not judge anyone who does or does not use this method.  I believe that every parent has a different approach and children are resilient, adaptable little humans. I don't condemn or condone any approach that assists a mother in getting a good night's rest. (aside from abuse, I would most certainly condemn abuse of any kind)


It all started on April 10th (which is actually my nieces birthday, but that is irrelevant).

Lucy woke up at her typical time, 11:30 - shortly after Eric and I get to bed.  I was bringing her into my bed, comforting her, and she would simply fall asleep and spend the rest of the night in our bed.

Well, this fine Tuesday she would not calm down.  I spent approximately 45 minutes with her screaming in my arms when the thought crossed my mind - If she is crying while I am holding her, why not just let her cry in her crib, and perhaps by this time next week, we will all be sleeping through the night.

So it went like this.  approximately 12:30 she went to bed in her crib and I left her room (checked back a couple times).  By 1 am she was sleeping, I went into her room, tucked her in and went to sleep.  At 3 am she woke up again, cried for 15 minutes, fell back asleep, I went into her room, tucked her in and went to sleep and she was back up at 6:30.  My thoughts now - only 2 short periods of crying on the first night!?!?  This is going to be a cinch!!  Oh!!  Sleep!!  I will finally get some sleep!


The next night Lucy had her cereal, her milk and went to bed around 9pm.  She woke up around 3:30 and cried for 30 minutes, I went into her room, tucked her in and went to sleep.  Still thinking - Down to one!  I feel more rested already! Why didn't I do this months ago?


Night 3 was the same, and night 4, and night 5, 6 and 7.

On night 8 Lucy woke up at 3 am and screamed for about an hour at which point I went in and rocked her to sleep.  She woke up her sister and her brother, who aren't that easy to get back to sleep either.

Night 9, and 10 were the same as nights 4 thru 7. At this point I feel like it isn't working BUT I have come too far to give up now.  I feel like I need to stick to my guns and not give in.

Night 11, SHE DID IT!! She slept the whole night!!  I might add here that my son was up several times on this night, so I, therefore, did NOT sleep the whole night. My thoughts then, AND now are this - Will I ever sleep through the night?  I have hope for after they have grown up and left my house...


Night 12 (last night) was similar to night 8.  She cried for so long that I went and got her, and she continued to cry in my arms for 30 minutes before falling asleep. I lay her back in her crib, she cried again but went to sleep on her own until 7 am.

I think I am being consistent, maybe I shouldn't have given in on nights 8 and 12, but I wasn't getting any sleep with her crying either.  I have heard from other moms that it takes 3-4 nights.  Then they are in their glory, they are well rested and can function all day long without massive amounts of caffeine coursing through their veins.

Regardless of all this - when I hold (even at 3 am) my sweet, lovely, yummy little monkey I can't help but love her, hug her, kiss her and occasionally have a desire to chomp on her gorgeous little cheeks! I might also add that I have a pretty good sense of humour about this.  I realize that not all children react the same way and perhaps this isn't the method for Lucy, but it did work for Seth and Miriam.  Mind you this is the closest I have been to getting a full night's sleep since June 4th. (FYI, Lucy was born on June 5th)
Who wouldn't have a desire to chomp those cheeks???




If you want more info on The Ferber method or any other sleeping methods, this was an article I liked reading  http://www.canadianparents.com/article/sleep-and-babies

2 comments:

  1. We're going through this right now too. Not fun - but necessary if we ever want to sleep through the night again!

    ReplyDelete